Questions and Answers
Honda Civic DX Codes P0700 And P0715
Q. Hi Vince, Okay lets see if we can get back on track here! I posted on the Import chat site about a 1997 Honda Civic DX with 97,000 miles with a transmission vibration shifting problem! I have done several things since! I had the oil flushed out at Jiffy lube and it seemed to help, for about ten days! I then read your answer about the Linear Solenoid (LS) and that sounded reasonable!
So I got one of those and changed that out with no improvement! The computer is still flashing the same code P0700 and P0715! I'm tempted to spend another $165.00 for a speed sensor and see if that makes any difference, although this is getting frustrating and expensive!
A. DTC P0700 is generated by any detected transmission fault. So any automatic transmission problem is going to throw a P0700 and another code.
The P0715 does indicate a malfunction in the LS. Honda outlines a specific procedure to flush the transmission. I included it here and I would also recommend using the Honda ATF, P/N 08206-9001.
- Raise the vehicle on a hoist.
- Drain the transmission. Refill it with Genuine Honda ATF.
- Start the engine.
- With your foot on the brake pedal, shift the transmission to D4.
- Release the brake pedal. Press on the accelerator, and bring the speedometer up to 50 mph. Make sure the transmission shifts through the first three lower gears and into fourth, and that the torque converter locks up.
- Apply the brakes to stop the front wheels.
- Shift to reverse, and then to neutral.
- Repeat the shifting procedure (steps 4 through 7) four more times.
- Turn off the engine.
- Repeat the above drain, refill, and shifting procedure (steps 2 through 9) two more times.
- Drain the transmission. Reinstall the drain bolt with a new washer. Refill the transmission with Genuine Honda ATF.
- Disconnect the linear solenoid electrical connector. Remove the mounting bolts, then remove the linear solenoid.
- Inspect the linear solenoid mounting surface on the transmission. Remove any contamination.
- Install the new linear solenoid. Reconnect the electrical connector.
- Use the PGM Tester to erase any DTCs in the powertrain control module (PCM).